24 May 2007

Liberia, Sunsets, and Extravagant Love

Tonight is the end of my second day in Liberia. Days one and two were spent in meetings, chasing drainage problems for air conditioning evaporators, more meetings, watching AC Milan win the European cup over Liverpool FC, and enjoying the final community meeting on the Anastasis. So far, I'm really happy with the way this new part of my life is unfolding, there are some changes that have occurred in my personal life that have been very challenging in the days between the sail from Santa Cruz, Tenerife to Monrovia, but even those changes have been an opportunity to develop as a person. Thanks, God for that opportunity.

I'd like to take a moment to just reflect on how faithful God is. Isn't it amazing how He will stick with us? God has taught me in the recent events that He wants me to be like that too. He wants all of us to be like that. When will I learn to stick by people regardless of the things that they do or say? Hopefully I'm learning that now. I hope you get that blessing through some event in your life soon as well.

I feel like I've learned a lot of perspective as well. I was sitting out on deck eight of the ship (the top weather deck) a few nights back when I wasn't all too happy with the current events around me, and looking out at the sea, that ever-constant reminder of my smallness and helplessness, I remembered just how much God cared for me. For you. For all of us. It's an amazing thing that He would be so faithful to care how I am making it, even though I'm simply one man, on one ship, on one ocean. How ridiculous, when you think about it, is the extravagance of His love for us! Why, of all things, would the Maker and Creator of all things be interested in my daily survival, much less how content I am with my circumstances? Incredible. Extraordinary. Scandalous! Honestly, the way that God loves us is so utterly, extravagantly vain... Think of a sunset. First, just think of it as you see it. Completely beautiful, yet only lasting for a few moments. Now, think of the incredible amount of energy and power that is in a sunset. It's amazing! The sun, a huge burning ball of gas, tons of miles away, shining at just the right angle through just the right amount of ozone, particulate matter, water vapor... and the result, sheer beauty. Now, think of this, the whole thing lasts only a few moments, but it continues on, around the world continuously, gracing all of creation with an ever-changing display of extravagantly beautiful visual love letter written across the biggest thing we could ever hope to see in this life-time. WOW. What extravagance!

No comments: