01 September 2007

Cheshire Home for the Handicapped

Today I went with Lorah and a few others from the ship to Cheshire Home for the Handicapped. It was a great experience. I enjoyed it tremendously and my time there felt eerily natural.

The people living at the Cheshire Home are severely handicapped. Half of them don't have the capacity to use the toilet, only two of them can walk, several of them cannot communicate in any evident manner at all, this includes hitting things.

It may seem strange that I would say that I enjoyed visiting people that have such a difficult time interacting with other people. It wasn't, it was one of the most natural experiences I've had working with the Liberian people. I think it's because they don't talk about the war all of the time. They might remember the war, and how bad things were then, but I think that they have such a hard time with life as it is, that the war isn't their excuse for how hard life is. They just know that life is hard.

Really, it almost makes me feel dirty for how little I appreciate what I've got. How about you?

2 comments:

Ricky Ray said...

Kinda causes a change in pespective a little huh?

Thad Pepper said...

Definitely.