02 March 2007

Happy Friday

Tie-dye. What says "happy Friday" better than a tie-dye t-shirt and a pink bandana? Some may say a cold brew says, "happy Friday" better, but you can't drink cold brews at work, so the way I spread Friday cheer is by wearing my "Friday shirt" as it has become known.

It's actually not my shirt. It is the property of one Ben Cubbage. I'm holding it for him until the ships meet and transfer to the Africa Mercy.

The reason I'm writing is to inspire others to find some way of bringing joy back to the workplace. Really though, how dreadfully sterile and boring has life at work become? I contest that work was meant to be a life-giving endeavour, not a life-draining punishment. I contest that, as a Christian, I am meant to bring Heaven down, not wait to die so I can enjoy it for myself.

A lot of people have a hard time with stuff like this. They see all of the bad things that happen in this world and they say, "How can a just and righteous God allow so much suffering?" I was reading in Leviticus the other day, and I realized that almost the entirity of the first five books of the Bible are a warning to prevent us from having to live like we now live (as cultures, that is. Not all people live with the same problems, because not all people have rejected the way God told us to live.).

It's not that God just wants to control us, or to manipulate us, it's that He genuinly loves us and wants us to enjoy life. When you buy something, or someone makes something for you, don't you find out how to use it from the maker? Why don't we believe the Maker when He tells us how to enjoy this gift that He has given us? Why is it that we think we know better?

So I wear a tie-dye shirt on Fridays and tell everyone I talk to, "Happy Friday!" because I know that there's more to this life than fighting to get ahead, and there's more to this life than dying and going to Heaven. I am going to live it today, right now, this very moment.

No comments: