31 January 2008

Old News via Email Chain...

I have a yahoo email account that I more or less quit checking about a year ago due to massive amounts of junk mail. My sister sends me chain letters to that address all of the time. Earlier this evening I was going through that account to clear out all of the junk and see if, perhaps, someone sent me something important. They didn't. But my sister did send me some interesting information (in the form of a chain letter...) regarding the benediction of the opening of the Kansas State House of Representatives in 1996. The email offers an abridged version of the benediction and is erronous on some details, but this link offers a more accurate portral of the event.

The reason that I decided to write an entry about this (you may have noticed that I don't write on here very offten any more...) is that it got me thinking about something that is of particular relavence and importance: the thoughs and actions of the average American.

In the link previously mentioned, the author points out that only one of the representatives in the House left the assembly in protest of the prayer. three gave negative speaches regarding it. Given the intensity of the language used in the prayer, I'm actually suprised at the lack of opposition. That's not to say that I don't agree with Minister Wright, I do and I aploud the way in which he presented the truth.

What suprises me is that, with the views so strongly suported by the political media, I have actually thought that most of America would disagree with Minister Wright. So my thoughts drift to the American people.

What do average American people think and what do they do about it?

I think that they think we are going in the wrong direction and I think that they grumble about it to the people that agree with them (read: they do nothing). Maybe I shoud re-write that last sentence, I think that we think we are going in the wrong direction and I think that we grumble about it to the people that agree with us (read: they do nothing).

We do this because we are afraid of making decisions and taking action. We're afraid of opposition and we're afraid of being forced out of our comfortable, sainatary, wrinkle-free lives into the grimmy, nasty road to a better future, because it won't be an easy, "We're headed for a storm. Let's turn this boat around!" There will be massive resistance. Not because a large group of people belive that we are going the right way, but that we have become desensitized to the reprocussions of our own actions. We have become so heavily insulated against reality by our own comfort that we don't have to think about what it costs to live the way we do.

How can you make an entire culture change the way they think?

If I new the answer to that, I wouldn't be writing this on a blog that five people will read in the next two months. But maybe I can plant a seed in five people's minds that will make a little change in the way they live. Six, if I can work a miracle and change myself.

No comments: